Working to improve
Pennsylvania Steelhead fishing for all!

PFBC introduced a new toll-free hotline for the public to report suspected pollution incidents or fish kills. The number – 1-855-FISH-KIL (1-855-347-4545) – provides the public with a way to quickly alert PFBC staff to suspected environmental incidents.


Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the hotline I can use to report a suspected pollution incident?

1-855-FISH-KIL (1-855-347-4545)

What if I think it’s an immediate threat to public safety or the environment?

If you believe it is an immediate threat to public safety or the environment, dial 911 or the Department of Environmental Protection’s emergency number at 1-800-541-2050.

Can I use the hotline to ask other questions or to provide comments?

No. The number is to be used only for reporting suspected cases of pollution or fish kills and is not meant for general inquires related to license sales, boat registrations or other agency issues. For non-emergency questions, please call or visit:

• Licensing – (877) 707-4085

• Boat Registration/Titling – (866) 262-8734, (866-BoatReg)

• Boating Safety Education Courses – (888) 723-4741, (888-PaFish1)

• General Questions – (717) 705-7800

• Frequently Asked Questions and electronic comments – The Fishing Hole -

Is the hotline free?

Yes, the hotline is toll free.

Where do the calls go?

Calls are routed to the PFBC’s Bureau of Law Enforcement at the Commission’s headquarters in Harrisburg.

What happens if I get a busy signal or no one answers when I call?

Staff from the Bureau of Law Enforcement will answer all calls received Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Calls received after 4 p.m. weekdays or on weekends will be sent to voice mail, where you can leave your information. PFBC staff will review voice messages and respond as soon as possible.

What information should I provide when I call?

The more information you can provide us about the location of the incident, the easier it will be for our law enforcement officers to find the location and evaluate the situation. When you call between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays, our staff will ask you various questions, such as the time and date when you first noticed the incident and the location of the incident.

If you call on weekends or after 4 p.m. weekdays, you will be directed into voice mail. Please provide your name, a phone number where we can reach you, and as many details as you can about the incident, including the date and time that you saw the incident. The name of the county and municipality, and names of nearby streets, intersections and local landmarks can help us to locate the site.

Do I have to tell you my name and give you my phone number?

We would like you to provide your name and phone number so we can reach you if we have follow-up questions or have difficulty finding the location of the alleged incident. However, it is entirely voluntary for you to provide that information.

After I report a possible incident, when will the PFBC respond?

We will evaluate the information you provide and will respond as soon as possible.

What can I do as a citizen to help the Commission investigate an incident?

You can assist us by taking notes of important information, such as the time, date and location of the incident. Write down and describe what you see, such as a substance running into a waterway. If you see someone dumping something into a waterway, write down the description of the vehicle and driver and the license plate number. Take photographs.

IMPORTANT For your safety, do not attempt to collect water samples. Only professionals trained in the handling of hazardous materials should collect samples.

Who else can I contact to report a suspected pollution incident?

The toll-free hotline is intended to make it easy for the public to quickly report a suspected pollution incident to Fish and Boat Commission officials. But you can always contact the Commission’s regional law enforcement offices as well. The regions and numbers are:

NW Region (Butler, Clarion, Crawford, Erie, Forest, Lawrence, Mercer, Venango, and Warren counties)

Address: 11528 State Highway 98, Meadville, PA 16335

Phone: (814) 337-0444

© PA Steelhead Association
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software